Saturday, November 28, 2009

My Worst Experience with Fedora GUI

I have been upgrading my parents computer since Fedora 8 by using yum update options.

I decided that before moving to Fedora 12, I should cleanup some of the packages. I decided to use the gui - packagekit and opted for removal of development group and some language packages like arabic which my parents did not need.

Packagekit mentioned that packages depending on these will also be removed. I clicked ok. For a moment, it did seem to me that the number of packages meant for removal was larger than I had expected. Anyway, I could always fix the problem if some needed package was removed.

After 20 minutes or so, packagekit had done its job. I could find very few packages. I decided check what was installed and rpm was missing! yum was missing.

All the rpm packages were present in /var/cache but there was no way I could use them. The machine had no cd drive. Anyway, I found that I had no installation media for Fedora 11.

So, the only option which came to me - clean install Fedora 12. I downloaded the net installation cd. Removed a cd drive from another computer and installed it on my parents computer. The installation is in progress for the last 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment