Sunday, February 6, 2011

OOPS - I got a Canon LiDE 110 Scanner

It was stupid of me. I bought a Canon LiDE 110 scanner and did not bother to check whether it was supported on Linux. I felt very foolish when I plugged it in and it did not get recognized.

Fortunately, Google helped me find the status and the issues for this model and the status of drivers available in the git repository.

Then, it was a matter finding some nice people who had already written the installation instructions - Ubuntu and Fedora

It works well. Now I have to see the best way to scan old photos and convert them to digital before they fade.

Update 14 May 2012: The Canon LiDE 110 works out of the box on Ubuntu and Arch Linux but for some reason not on Fedora 16 though it is reported to work on Fedora 17. I could build and install the sane-backends using the source from Sane project site and it works.

2 comments:

  1. hello,
    I have the same problem, I am also brand new to Ubuntu!, can you tell me how you solved the problem please.
    many thanks,

    nemir
    nemir.adjina@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nemir,

    The following link should have helped.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9462298&postcount=16

    With an additional entry in /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules for LiDE 110 as follows:

    # Canon CanoScan LiDE 110
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1909", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"


    And as mentioned in this post, I also had to copy the genesys.conf file manually.

    http://sripathikodi.blogspot.com/2010/09/getting-canon-lide-100-scanner-to-work.html

    $ sudo cp ./backend/genesys.conf /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf

    anil

    ReplyDelete