Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tumbleweed and Other Repositories on OpenSUSE

From the OpenSUSE forum posts, it was apparent that I was not the only one confused by which repositories to use and the implication of using multiple repositories.

OpenSUSE does not allow an update from a repository if the package ownership changes. This is a mixed blessing. It appears to be useful if one is using packman repository in addition to the OpenSUSE's OSS, nonOSS and contrib repositories and some packages overlap. However, it also meant that I could not update the additional packages added to Tumbleweed repository. (I may be able to overcome that problem using the instructions in http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_change_update.)

I needed to use the following command again.
$ sudo zypper dup --from Tumbleweed

So far, I have not come across delta rpm packages in Tumbleweed repository. I am hoping, once the packages are updated within Tumbleweed, delta rpms will also be available.

I expect that after some time, the 11.4 specific repositories will become redundant.

Currently, it would be easier to stick to Arch Linux! But there would also be less to learn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment