Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Getting faster updates of Fedora in India

I was finding updates of Fedora pretty slow for some months now. Finally, I realised that the local mirror in India, at IIT-K, was probably limiting the bandwidth.

Earlier, I had changed the text file, mirrorlist.txt, using the mirrors in US and Canada from the default list of one Indian mirror and rest from China, USSR, Japan etc.

Manually changing the metalink.xml did not seem to work.

It turned out to be easy. I had to modify the mirrorlist option in the fedora-updates.repo file and add the country option.
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch&country=us,ca

The updates now are much faster though it seems silly that to get a fast response I have to use mirrors in US rather than in India!

No comments:

Post a Comment