Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Reluctant Eavesdropping

I have now stood in lines on three days at the Registrar of Births and Deaths. I would have liked to see the staff a little more empathetic. I suppose the endless issues with correction of data may make them seem callous and cold.

One cause of the common problems I observed/overheard were the result of various government hospitals, including PGI - a premier institution in India. My sample size is small but differences in the names as claimed by the relatives and as entered in the register were oddly substantial. This required the relatives to run around at the hospital, get hospitals to correct the data, gather proofs, etc.

Some of the relatives were desperate, pleading for help. A few were near breaking point, helpless and abusive.

Another case for reducing the donkey work by using computers and, as a side effect, having people be nicer to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment